

So now I am currently back at ILAC for the next three weeks. Spring Break flew by, school is picking up again, and our second session is underway. This picture above is Anne and I at Carnival in La Vega, which is just a big celebration/parade. My Mom, Kenz, some friends and I traveled down to La Vega for the day, and it was very interesting to see just the extravagant, colorful costumes and just masses of people. So a funny thing they do at Carnival is the people in the parade and other spectators will have these rubber-like, oval balls that they hit people's bottoms with. Ha - you're safe if your back is against a wall, and it's pretty funny to watch until you get hit with one!
Next we traveled down to the south coast to a place called Boca Chica where we stayed for the rest of the week. The beach and area was so beautiful, full of white beaches and clear water! We also went up to the northeast penninsula called Samana and went whale watching. We stayed in a quaint, port town and went on a half day whale tour. It was interesting to see the whales, some got pretty close and my mom got some good pictures!
So this is just a little synopsis of my last week. I loved seeing Mackenzie and my Mom for a week, besides them not being used to the sun or the mosquito bites, it was a wonderful time! It was great to share my experiences with them and for them to see where I've been living! We had so much fun traveling, talking and just relaxing together. It was hard to see them go - 'See you in May' my Mom said when they left, just a wierd thought. So now I am starting school up again, we have quite a bit of reading and our rough draft of our 20-page paper due in three weeks. This Thursday we leave for Dajabón, which is a town right on the border between the Dominican Republic and Haiti. We are going there on a day where the market opens and people are able to cross the border to trade food, goods, crafts etc. The place we are visiting is also the site of where the cruel dictator Trujillo of the DR mascared thousands of Haitians along what is now known as the Masacre river. It should be very an intense and eye-opening experience to see the town and market because we have been reading and learning about it so much since we've been down here. I hope all is well in the States! I miss you all and I would love to hear from you!
¡Adios todos, cuidase!
¡Adios todos, cuidase!

No comments:
Post a Comment