
Hello friends and family! All is going well down in the Dominican Republic. This last weekend we went to Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic. We first went to a pineapple plantation - we were all surprised to learn that pineapples grew on the ground and not in a tree! We were given fresh slices of pineapple at the end of the tour - the best pineapple I've ever tasted, just like candy!

Then we went to the sugar cane fields - which is a big part of the Dominican history. They were the major source of jobs and capital in the early 1900s, and they were mainly a place where they would bring Haitians into the fields to have them do the labor. They lived in these communities called bateys, and so we went around and visited different communities and talked about the political issues and how the bateys are different than they were just 100 years ago. We also got to chew on the sugar cane, which was fun - but to eat it, you just bite the cane for the juice and then spit out the cane.

We then went back to the city of Santo Domingo and saw Christopher Columbus' first house when he came to the New World. The 'Colonial Zone' of Santo Domingo is so beautiful! The cobblestone streets, very old buildings - a very European feel! The next day we visited a nearby beach just to relax for the afternoon before heading back to ILAC.

So classes have started up again this week and this is actually the last week of classes for the first session. Starting next Sunday we will be traveling to the campos where we will be staying with different families in the countryside of the Dominican Republic. The campo that we are going to has no running water, no electricity, and in general just a poor area. Throughout the ten days of being there we will build an aqueduct so the community can have running water, and we will also just live and interact with the people of the community. I don't really know what to expect - I'm very nervous and excited though for the experience!
It will probably be a few weeks before I can post a new blog - just because in the campos we won't have access to the internet, and after the immersion trip we have our Spring Break. My mom and Mackenzie are coming down to visit for a week, which I am very excited for! Otherwise, I am loving my time down here... The time has been going by so quickly! I'm slowly but surely increasing my Spanish skills, and just enjoying this new culture. However, I do miss my friends, family, and some comfort food a lot! Thanks for checking in - Hope you all are doing well!
Besos y te cuidas!
(translation: kisses and take care)
No comments:
Post a Comment